Saturday 18 November 2023

Oliver Twist

Link to Score

The next instalment in this little serious of mine is based on Oliver Twist. Confession time, I love the book and I love the musical. But to be honest Oliver Twist is very far from being one of the strongest characters that Dickens ever created. The only way I can describe him is meek, he is also a little lost. I suspect he was a simple character on purpose. In the story he was the victim, pushed around by one strong character after another.

his is the second attempt. The first was far more melodic and thats where it failed. I did not feel it was simple enough to fit my vision. The problem is meek to me means very little, a bit wishy washy. The melody and the arrangement had to be simple. So I decided to make to use a simple arpeggio that follows a not so simple cord progression. I chose a wind quartet for two reasons. One, in the hope this can help me improve my orchestrations. Working with just one section of the orchestra, will force me to more inventive using it. Also I will gain much needed experience in the nuts and bolts of this section of the orchestra. The second is that in my opinion the wind section contains instruments that do not sound very solid. I then added a simple backing that builds up and viola you have my piece.

Personally I think I cracked it. The biggest problem for me was deciding which Orchestra to use. I made a mock up with all three options, Muscore3, Garageband and Spitfire. I prefer the Muscore3 straight out of the box option. The spitfire version sounded far too rich for what I want, and I feel I can get better control of the dynamics and panning (if that is a word) in Muscore.

No comments:

Post a Comment